Wednesday, June 4, 2014

Reflection Assignment

a. The laws of supply and demand have shaped the way I think about every day life so much. Expanding my knowledge of those, especially to areas I had not thought to before has greatly improved my understanding of the world, and will continue to do so. The urban planning and economic geography sections did that as well. My improved understanding of the way that countries and cities are laid out will be applicable many times throughout my life. Also, the DIE model has been extremely helpful for me in my understandings. Not immediately jumping to evaluation will greatly help me while in different places or even at home. Another great model was the one that showed the interactions between theories, experiences, and expectations. Thinking through the lens of that idea will be very helpful while abroad and later in life.

b. A huge thing I want to look into more is economic geography. The whole concept of market distributions and studying how those change with transportation costs and social factors seemed really interesting. Seeing how well the model applied to certain places (like Iowa) made me really want to try complicating and expanding on it so that it can be applied to more complex areas such as New York or California.

c. Questions about what I am going to find the most challenging are always difficult to answer, because I have learned that I have no idea when it comes to predicting things like this. I guess I can always speculate though. One interesting thing about LSE is that English students are actually a rather small minority. It is a very international school. This means that there will be lot of cultures represented, and finding ways to interact with several different cultures together may be challenging. Living in a different culture is already difficult, and adding in several other cultures may complicate things.

No comments:

Post a Comment